New Zealand, like Australia, has grown their population through migration with the objective to adding to economic prosperity. In New Zealand’s case, this population growth has put increased pressure on infrastructure which has struggled to keep up.
A great crowd assembled for the AFF information briefing on Tuesday 17th October to hear about the forthcoming AusNZ delegation to the Asian Financial Forum in Hong Kong, 14th to 19th January, 2018.
Luca de Leonardis, InvestHK kicked off the briefing at historic Hong Kong House in Sydney. He explained why Hong Kong is the Gateway for those looking to do business in China and how they can assist with business set up.
Head of Hong Kong Trade and Development Council (HKTDC) Bonnie Shek delivered the keynote presentation on the Asian Financial Forum (AFF) conference, now in it’s 11th Year. Hong Kong is a hub for international business and investment, and is the gateway to more than 5 million HNW individuals.
Part of International Finance Week, last years event saw 100 global leaders, speaking to almost 3,000 business and finance delegates from 50 countries, plus 620 one-on-one business matching meetings at the AFF Deal Flow.
Attend as part of the AusNZ mission
Those that have done business in China will be familiar with the term “guanxi” and the concept of “three cups of tea” of stranger to friend to part of the family.
Mission leader Stacey Martin, Founder of Expat Advisors Community, shared her AFF journey from first year overwhelm, second year focus, third year a clear proposition, fourth year holding expat and Significant Investor Visa events and fifth year running the mission.
Leveraging these learnings, this year there will be individual delegate consultations to ensure those that decide to come along will be well prepared. This includes networking tools, clear positioning on what they have to offer and who they would like to meet for the Delegate Booklet and social media profiles.
Following the Sunday evening welcome event and the two day AFF conference, delegates will have the opportunity to showcase their services at the migration and property seminars which are being promoted to local networks and businesses.
A day trip into Shenzhen to see the real China will be followed by the Family Office Conference back in Hong Kong. There will also be an evening Junk cruise on Hong Kong Harbour.
You can view the current draft itinerary here.
Feedback from past delegates
The 2017 mission saw the trialing of Adam Goerns Farms and Finance platform to augment the AFF deal-flow matching . First time delegate Steve Newnham found it a useful tool to represent a number of agriculture deals.
View the Farms and Finance video here.
Despite having been to Hong Kong around 50 times, Vincent Lim of Sumo Group still finds the AFF a great forum for gaining up to date knowledge and insights whilst catching up with business partners.
Drew Waters, past CEO of AustCham Hong Kong now back in Australia shared how the local Chamber is there to help Australians looking to do business in Hong Kong, with representative committees including Finance, Legal and Tax providing Thought Leadership and representation.
Who Should Attend
Whether a first time trip and study tour to hear from leading experts on the opportunities in Asia, are ready to do businss and want to build relationships or have an extablised network, there is something for everyone wanting to benefit from the growth in Asia.
Delegates will include services providers across finance, wealth management, legal, accounting, migration and property. Also business and project owners, particularly Agriculture, seeking strategic investment partners at the AFF Deal Flow.
One of the key benefits of attending with a group of like-minded business people is the comradery among the delegates who can position each others businesses.
We are delighted to have endorsement of the mission from Austrade, Australian Services Roundtable, Pacific Economic Basin Council and AustCham in Hong Kong and Shenzhen. Plus of course HKTDC, Invest HK, HKABA and HKNZBA.
Sponsorship packages are available for those considering bringing two or more delegates and we expect to soon announce from banking, funds management and professional services.
For more information
Download the AFF Mission Flyer 2018 or go to the website where you will find more information and regular updates. If you are interested in finding out if coming to Hong Kong, third week of January, will suit your business growth plans contact Stacey Martin at email@example.com or call +61 413 127 677.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Dates: 14th – 19th January 2018.
- Delegation itinerary: The operators reserve the right to change the form and content of the program at any time without notice.
- Delegate Fee: You agree to prepay the fee for attending the program. It is understood that this fee does NOT include travel costs (unless selecting the airfare and accommodation package).
- Travel Costs: You agree to organise and pay for you own airfares, hotels and other accommodation, (except if taking the all-inclusive travel package) some meals (other than those shown on the itinerary), and personal expenses including but not limited to shopping, sightseeing, hotel extras and/or other entertainment costs.
- Insurance: You agree that you are responsible for investigating, organising and paying for personal travel insurance cover appropriate to your needs and circumstances.
- Entry Visa: You will take responsibility for ensuring you have the appropriate documentation to enter Hong Kong and China for the required period.
- Attendance and Participation: During the course of the Delegation Program, it may be necessary for the Delegation Leader(s) to give you instructions to ensure the enjoyment and safety of all delegates and you agree to follow these instructions at all times. You agree to attend all aspects of the Delegation Itinerary, to arrive on time for each, to dress appropriately (as advised by us) and conduct yourself in a fit and proper manner.
- Nonsolicitation: We have an established network of professional contacts and associates to whom you will be introduced during the delegation. You acknowledge that this network is the intellectual property of Expat Advisors Community. You agree that if you wish to make contact with any individual you are introduced to during the delegation other than other delegates and those you meet at the Asian Financial Forum, you will advise us in advance.
- Personal safety: You agree that we cannot be held responsible for any accident, injury or illness to you, or theft or the loss of your personal effects while on the delegation. You agree to take every precaution necessary to ensure your personal safety and that of your personal effects at all times.
- Waiver of Rights: We may obtain video, photo and/or sound recordings of you participating in the delegation. You agree that we may use these at our sole discretion.
- Cancellation Policy: We reserve the right to cancel the delegation prior to departure as a result of unforeseen circumstances or to ensure the personal safety of all participants. In this event, you will receive a full refund of all monies already paid. You agree that if, for any reason, you cancel your participation in the delegation you will email your notice of cancellation to us at our email address (firstname.lastname@example.org). You further agree that you will not be entitled to any refund of the Delegate Program fee which will have already been committed to bookings and activities. We will consider a request to transfer your registration to another person but retain the right to accept or refuse this request at our sole discretion.
“ The 2017 Australian delegation to AFF was treated to a most thought provoking and challenging conference. There were two days of brilliant speakers and content, focused on where half the world’s population is heading economically and financially, highlighting risks and opportunities. Stacey then packed in another three days of meetings with business leaders, family offices and tech firms to complete the picture of how Australian business can and must tackle doing business in Asia. This was all topped off with many enjoyable networking events. Stacey, many thanks for an incredibly valuable business mission.” – Steve Newnham, Oakham Grove Consulting – 2017
“I very much enjoyed attending Stacey’s last financial forum match making delegation to Hong Kong and found the whole event highly engaging, proactive and a lot of fun. I recommend joining the delegation to anyone who wants to promote their services in this forum, which as far as I am aware is one of the largest events in the financial services calendar in the Asian Region.” – Tony Dormer, Managing Director, Kreston Dormers – 2017
‘”As our mission draws to a close I want to firstly thank David and Katya for putting the mission together and for the detailed arrangements, everything ran like clockwork. Also, thank you to Stacey for persuading me to join the mission. Finally to all the delegates and new friends, it was fantastic meeting all of you and I look forward to keeping in touch. Thanks for a fantastic week.” – Ivan Chait, Santa Fe – 2016
“Just a note to say Stacey a BIG THANKS for convincing me to go on such a well-organised trip. I thoroughly enjoyed it, got my name out there, got the opportunity to begin one of my dreams, which is to talk in front of interested parties on property! Was also good to catch up with some old colleagues and friends, as well as make new ones. I look forward to the next trip, and please let me know if there is anything you may need as a follow-up. I’d be happy to help!” – Ben Weeding, Buyside – 2016
“Team Australia – thanks to all especially the organisers for a very worthwhile expedition and for ensuring a great group in attendance – all efforts are much appreciated and will certainly see me back again!” – Suren Pather, Chairman, SUMO Group -2016
“Another great trip which has brought me one step closer to demystifying the complexities of doing business in China, and with the Chinese. The quality of the delegates in our mission was outstanding and I am looking forward to establishing several enduring relationships”. – Ian Hyman, CEO, Hymans Valuers & Auctioneers – 2015
“Thank you to each and every one on you for what was a mind blowing experience, I think I’ve discovered a whole new approach to business development, now to get the rest of Australia on board. I would especially like to thank Stacey for thinking to invite JD and I to join the delegation, the amount of work you put in and the passion you constantly displayed throughout the trip is something you can truly be proud of. And to David, Caroline, Vanessa and Jennifer, thank you all for making it such an extraordinary experience”. – Sam Benjamin, Head of SIV Investments, Allan Gray – 2015
“I would also like to thank all involved with the Think Global trip. It is only now after I have had a few days to reflect on our time away that I realise what a wonderful week it was. Being able to mix both the business and social side of an expedition is important in doing business in the region and I believe that we all did it with great aplomb. Most importantly, I feel like I have a new network of friends / colleagues and look forward to sharing ideas / opportunities going forward. A big thank you to the key contributors of the trip and I hope that everyone has left with the positive feeling that I have taken away from the delegation”. – Simon Talbot, Senior Manager, Financial Planning, NAB Private Wealth – 2015
“I’ll echo all of the above – it’s been really terrific to meet all of you, get to know you, and enjoy the buzz of being around so many entrepreneurial souls. David and Stacey, thanks for appealing to me to come – you were right, it was better than May! Thanks to the whole Think Global team for organizing a week full of insights, learning, fun and opportunities. There were several moments that were quite profound for me.”– Richard Grainger, Director, Sunrise Property Group – 2015
“It was great to meet and travel with you all last week and what a fun learning, networking and social week it was on so many levels. I certainly gained more than what I could have envisaged particularly getting to know you, your business objectives and your stories. Thanks very much David, Caroline, Jenny and Vanessa for guiding us safely through the various events, travel options, group photo opportunities and in facilitating introductions and translations. The opportunities we had to meet at the Hong Kong Club, Fashion Show, Happy Valley races and Austcham in both Hong Kong and Guangzhou were particularly appreciated. – Peter Black, Business & Executive Coach – 2015