After growing up in Hong Kong and living in Australia for 27 years, Bonnie Shek is well equipped in her role of facilitating businesses to succeed in both countries.
As the Director of the Hong Kong Trade and Development Council, Bonnie is intent on helping Australian and New Zealand start-ups succeed in Hong Kong. The Council provides extensive assistance in connecting business owners with the right partners, agents, distributors and buyers to give them the best chance of international success.
Explaining that Hong Kong is the “freest economy in the world” due to a lack of tariffs, she spoke of the vast opportunities the land can offer Australians. With a recent free trade agreement settled between the two countries, Bonnie believes business relations will continue to improve.
During her interview on the Aus-Asia Business Program, Bonnie spoke about why trade missions are becoming essential for businesses interested in entering Hong Kong and why there has never been a better time to be a start-up.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why it’s necessary to make the trip to Hong Kong before entering its market;
- The industries Bonnie believes are set to boom;
- Why you need to take a long-term view to international success;
- The benefits of securing local contacts;
- Why you should engage with multiple agencies to get the best assistance; and
- The extent of Hong Kong consumers’ brand consciousness; and
- Bonnie’s top three tips for internationalising your business.
Follow Bonnie Shek and the Hong Kong Trade Development Council: