This China Strategy – NSW International Engagement Strategy was published in September 2014, prior to the signing of the China-Australia Fee Trade Agreement (ChAFTA).
Under the new Strategy, published just prior to the new Premier Mike Bairds first overseas trip, it says the NSW Government will focus its efforts on the relationship with China through a number of priority actions.
It sets out 8 key areas for growing NSW’s relationship with China. including promoting Sydney as a leading financial services centre and Renminbi trading hub.
This includes promoting our financial services capabilities including wealth management to China, and establishing connections between the financial services sector in Sydney and Shanghai.
- Build on longstanding relationships and grow our partnerships with China
- Attract Chinese investment, particularly in NSW infrastructure projects
- Double the value of Chinese tourism to NSW by 2020
- Maximise benefits from an Australia-China Free Trade Agreement
- Promote Sydney as a leading financial services centre and Renminbi trading hub
- Strengthen the position of NSW agriculture and resources in China
- Maintain our leading market share in education, and
- Grow export of NSW innovation.
This strategy for engaging with China is a working document providing practical direction for the NSW Government across our trade, investment, resources, education, tourism, agriculture, cultural and infrastructure agencies.
The report can be downloaded here.