Australia Week in China – 11th to 15th April 2016
AWIC is coming up and my submission to Austrade to attend the Financial Services stream as founder of our Expat Advisors Community for professionals with internationally connected clients was accepted.
John Brogden, then CEO of the Financial Services Council led the Financial Services stream in the inaugural AWIC in 2014. As he was also a delegate on the Think Global January 2014 mission, we were fortunate he accepted our invitation to speak to Expat Advisors Community about the mission and the Asia Funds passport initiatives.
This has inspired me to follow the developments with the potential to export our world class financial services capabilities, particularly the value of advice, asset allocation and retirement structures.
- Financial Services stream – kicks off in Hong Kong on Monday 11th April and includes sessions on Hong Kong as the gateway to Asia, disruption in the financial services industry, ChAFTA, RMB and mutual recognition of investment funds. After a visit to the Cyberport fintec hub, it’s off to Shanghai with forums on financial market reform and regulation, and challenges and opportunities for asset management with significant growth in Chinese wealth.
- Innovation stream – I’ve been invited to join some of the additional activities with Stone & Chalk, introduced by new member Gary Morgan. The have 15 fintec companies doing pitches in Asia, having received a government grant for the trip.
- Other streams – include Health & Aged Care which Winnie Hadad from Hopgood Ganim in Perth, who some of you met at our 2015 Melbourne Cup event is attending; Tourism stream where Cindy Xia from Ausfeng is leading a VIP delegation; as well as Agribusiness, Premium Food, Beverage and Consumer, International Education and Agriculture, and Urban Sustainability & Water Management.
On Thursday, all streams across China come together at the Shanghai Expo Centre with the Hon Steven Ciobo MP, Minister for Trade and Investment and Australia China Business Council (ACBC) National President, the Hon John Brumby. ACBC members make up some of the 1,000 delegates including Tim Hogan-Doran from Shine Wing.
Australia Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai
Austcham are hosting a number of events during AWIC:
- Austcham/WBC annual Business Awards
- AWIC Aussie drinks with Brisbane Airport
- On The Ground in China panel discussions
- An Australian Republic in the Asian Century Lunch with Peter Fitzsimons.
These events can be booked directly via Austcham Shanghai here.
Connecting Expat Advisors Community at AWIC
Attached is the latest Financial Services Program Overview.
In representing our community, if there are any particular issues you would like me to explore, initiatives to promote, or contacts I should meet, please feel free to get in touch via email, WeChat, or give me a call before I fly out on Sunday April 10th.
You can follow the conversation on twitter at #AWIC2016
Next discussion group – Wednesday 20th April in Sydney
Our next discussion group will be held on Wednesday 20th April at 4.45 pm at the offices of Succession Plus.
I look forward to sharing the insights from the AWIC Financial Services delegation as well as hearing about what’s been keeping you busy!
If you haven’t yet joined our Expat Advisors Community LinkedIn group please click here.